Where did Sweet Home get its name?
January 18, 2002
Former Director East Linn Museum
In 1847 the Lowell Ames family first filed donation land claims for land that would eventually become Sweet Home, Oregon. The father,his six sons and one daughter, Sweet Home's first settlers, each took out property claims. Ames Creek, which runs through the center of Sweet Home was named after the family.
About that time, a group of Mormons on a wagon train, hoping to escape persecution, homesteaded the current downtown Sweet Home area. They built a settlement which they called Pilgrim's Camp near the present-day bridge over Ames Creek on Long Street. The...