Sweet Home Senior Center News and Activities
November 29, 2016
- It’s That Time of Year! Membership renewal is due. Stop by the front desk to renew your membership today! It’s just $12 for a year.
- Right on the money: Congratulations to Georgia Berg!
Although we had a lot of close guesses for our pumpkin’s weight, Georgia guessed it right on the nose at 99 pounds! Thank you to all of you who took a guess!
- Pancake Breakfast: We had a great turnout for our Pancake breakfast last month. Our kitchen crew served about 35 people all-you-can-eat pancakes, with scrambled eggs and sausage.
- Christmas in Brownsville! On Tuesday, Dec. 13, we are planning a visit to Brownsville.
We are going to enjoy a tour of the historic Moyer House in all its Christmas splendor, as well as take in the historic Linn County Museum there. We are also going to enjoy lunch at Randy’s Main Street Coffee Shop. Come sign up at the front desk.
- Members Meeting/ Election of Board Members: The annual election of Senior Center Board members will be held at the December membership meeting, Dec. 14, at 10 a.m.
Nominees are: President –Hank Berg; Vice President – Jennifer Behrens; Secretary – Pam Barbee; Treasurer – Sally Pelham; Parliamentarian – Glenda Hopkins; Director #1 – Bob Weidner, Diane Anderson; Director #2 – Pat Tungett; Director #6 – Mark Holcomb and Sandy Poto.
Come and be a part of the happenings here at the Sweet Home Senior Center.
- Christmas Potluck Dinner and Silent Auction: On Thursday, Dec. 15, at 5 p.m. we’ll be having our Christmas Potluck Dinner.
We will supply the ham. Please stop by the front desk and sign up to bring side dish, a salad or a dessert. (Sign-up sheet goes out Dec 1.)
Also, bring a gift item for our Silent Auction! These items can be homemade or store-bought.
This is a great opportunity to pick up something special for Christmas! Proceeds from the auction will go towards our center activities.
The auction will go on throughout the evening, as well as our ticket sales for the Raffle Quilt. The evening will close with our Quilt raffle drawing. Plan on joining us for a night of food, fun and festivities! We will not be doing a light tour this year.
- The Raffle Quilt is finished!
Tickets are still available! We will be drawing our winner at our Christmas party on Dec. 15 (see above).
This year’s quilt has a dog theme. Stop by the front desk to buy your ticket(s) for a chance to win this year’s quilt, on display at the Center.
Tickets are $1 each or 6 for $5.
- Ponytail Canasta Card Group: We’ve started a new card group!
Join us for Ponytail Canasta on Wednesdays, from 12:30 to 4 p.m.
Ponytail is a form of Canasta similar to ‘Hand and Foot.’ It is fun and exciting and easy to learn! Participation costs $1 each Friday.
- The Writer Stuff: Fridays from 10 a.m. to noon at the Senior Center.
Participation in this group is open to anyone with an interest in sharing stories through writing. This is not a “secret” club, but rather a group to encourage people to write about the memories we hold, and recall the ones underneath all the recent ones, as others share their stories as well.
Participation costs $1 each Friday. A book of participants’ stories is on the table in the Senior Center lobby for others to enjoy.
- Free Senior Legal Advice: Local attorney Stacey Mealer will be at the Senior Center Nov. 7 from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. provide free consultations to seniors.
Areas of focus: wills, trusts and estate plans, powers of attorney, advance directives, probates, small estates and trust administration, long term care planning, Medicaid and asset planning.
For more information about specific times they will be available, or to sign up, stop by the Senior Center front desk.
Stacey’s next visit to the center will be Jan. 4, 2017.
- Bridge: Interested in learning how to play bridge? Spend Monday afternoons with a great group of people, sharing great treats.
Stop by the front desk for information. Participation cost is $1 each Monday.
- Computers with Internet access: Seniors are welcome to take advantage of our internet access in our computer room during lobby hours, 8-4 p.m., with the purchase of a Senior Center membership of $12 a year.