The New Era - All about Sweet Home since 1929

Oregon Jamboree announces festival will not be held in early August

 

May 6, 2020



The Oregon Jamboree announced today (May 7) that the 2020 event will not be held the first weekend of August based on a statement by Gov. Kate Brown earlier in the day.

“Our staff, management team and board of directors are working hard on a variety of options and will share our plans with you no later than Wednesday, May 13,” the Jamboree reported in a Facebook post. “Thank you so much for your patience and please bear with us during these unprecedented times. Stay safe, and we will update you all very soon.”

As part of her “Plan for Rebuilding a Safe and Strong Oregon,” the governor announced that large gatherings such as conventions, festivals, major concerts and live audience sporting events will need to be canceled at least through September.

Restarting events of this size will require a reliable treatment or prevention, like a vaccine, which is many months off, Brown said. Further guidance on large events will be provided in the coming months.

While Oregonians have successfully flattened the curve of COVID-19 cases, Brown said, with fewer than 100 hospitalizations statewide, reopening will require gradual, careful steps based on science and data.

“But let me be very clear: these choices are not easy; as we reopen parts of our economy, we know and expect that there may be an uptick in new coronavirus cases,” Brown said. “That’s why we have to be prepared in every single corner of the state, because as we’ve seen, an outbreak can occur anywhere.”

She outlined the first phase in her plan. In the first phase, to reopen some businesses as early as May 15 with the governor's approval, counties must demonstrate fewer than five hospitalizations, sufficient testing and tracing, plans for isolation and quarantine, hospital capacity to handle any surge in COVID-19 cases and enough personal protective equipment for healthcare workers.

In phase one, restaurants and bars can reopen sit-down service. Personal care and service businesses, including barbers and salons, may reopen, and in-person gatherings of up to 25 persons will be allowed.

Counties must remain in phase one for at least 21 days before advancing to phase two. More details on the second and third phase will be announced later.

Counties in phase one that begin to see significant increases in COVID-19 cases or community spread may need to move back to a stay-home status, the governor said.

 
 

Powered by ROAR Online Publication Software from Lions Light Corporation
© Copyright 2020

Rendered 09/22/2020 11:29