The New Era - All about Sweet Home since 1929

Early-morning fire damages vacant house

 

September 15, 2021

Scott Swanson

Flames show from a burning house off Nandina Street, to which firefighters responded early Wednesday, Sept. 8.

Fire damaged a vacant house on Nandina Street early Wednesday morning, Sept. 8.

Sweet Home firefighters responded at 3:25 a.m. to a report of the blaze, at 1400 Nandina St., across the railroad tracks just northwest of the Safeway shopping center.

Fire Chief Dave Barringer said it took about 35 minutes to get the fire under control and crews stayed until about 8 a.m., mopping up and trying to cut their way into the attic to look for hot spots.

Scott Swanson

The building had a "Condemned" sign on one wall and Barringer said there was evidence of "recent inhabitants" who were not present when firefighters arrived. It appeared they had been squatting, he said.

"It had not been occupied, officially," he said.

The fire appeared to have started at an electrical box, to which a wire ran from a nearby pole.

"It didn't look like it was secured correctly," Barringer said, adding that it appeared the line had been "arcing and sparking."

No damage estimate was available and the owner's name was also not listed.

Two SHFAD engines and a truck responded, along with 10 firefighters. Also responding were a truck and two firefighters from Lebanon and another with four from Brownsville.

 
 

Powered by ROAR Online Publication Software from Lions Light Corporation
© Copyright 2021