5 COVID deaths reported in Linn County last week

Kelly Kenoyer

The coronavirus has claimed five lives in Linn County during the past week, the largest single-week total since the beginning of the pandemic when COVID-19 swept through the Oregon Veterans Home.

The youngest, a 69-year-old woman, died Thursday, Nov. 26, at Good Samaritan Regional Medical Center.

On Nov. 27, Linn County counted two more: an 87-year-old woman and a 78-year-old woman. Before that, an 86-year-old man and an 81-year-old man, the latter died at the Portland Veteran’s Administration Medical Center. At least four of the five have confirmed underlying conditions, according to the Oregon Health Authority, which tabulates deaths.

More than 900 Oregonians had died of COVID-19 as of Dec. 1.

The wave of fatalities comes as COVID test positivity rates across the state are rising, with Oregon at a 7% positivity rate as of Nov. 23, with Linn County slightly below that, at 5.9%. The World Health Organization recommends a rate of 5% or lower for 14 days before re-opening is possible, as that indicates a high level of understanding of spread of the virus.

Hospitalizations are also on the rise: 539 COVID-19 patients are in hospitals across Oregon, as of Nov. 29, which was ten more than the day before that. 107 of them are in the ICU. There are 170 open ICU beds across the state, and 708 adult non-ICU beds. That means only 16% of the state’s total hospital beds are currently available, and 24% of its ICU beds.

The current pace of positive COVID cases represents a sharp increase from where Oregon was last month. The state hit a new daily record of 600 new cases on Oct. 30. Oregon hasn’t been that low since Nov. 4, and surpassed 1,000 each day last week except Thanksgiving, which has been generally credited with a low number because of a slow-down in testing due to the holiday.

COVID-19 hospitalizations typically lag behind diagnosis by a week or two or three. In Oregon, the hospitalization rate for COVID-19 is 6-7%, with males hospitalized at a slightly higher rate. The rate increases for older people, with hospitalization rates at 14% for 60- to 69-year-olds and 25% for 70- to 79-year-olds. Those older than 80 are hospitalized at a rate of 31%.

A wave of positive COVID cases is followed a few weeks later by hospitalizations, then a wave of deaths a few weeks after that, according to health experts. State epidemiologist Dean Sidelinger on Nov. 13 warned of overwhelmed hospitals on Nov. 13, as Portland area hospitals were on the verge of running out of capacity at that time.

Linn County-area hospitals are doing a bit better – Erin Causey, a spokeswoman for Samaritan Health, said Albany General Hospital has 69 total beds, only 23 of which are currently occupied, while Lebanon has 25 beds, 18 of which are taken. There are nine COVID patients between the two hospitals as of Nov. 30, she said.

“(COVID hospitalizations are) always a concern, it’s something we need to stay ahead of,” Causey said. “We’re really counting on the community to help do their part to minimize the spread so that we don’t get up to capacity or have to initiate the surge plans.”

Region 2 hospitals, which include Benton, Lincoln, Marion, Linn, Polk and Yamhill counties, were in a better position as of Nov. 27, with 55 available ICU beds out of 127. The region has 173 non-ICU beds available, out of 795.

The overall death rate from COVID-19 is around 1% in Oregon, but it rises to 18% for those over the age of 80. More than half of Oregon’s deaths are among those 80 years or older, with just two deaths in the 20-to-29 demographic, out of more than 15,000 infections.

Meanwhile, COVID continues to spread in East Linn County. The latest official data for the 97386 zip code – Sweet Home – shows 14 new positive cases of COVID 19 in the week of Nov. 19-25, a new record. The New Era has confirmed at least one other positive case since then: an employee at City Hall.

Lebanon on Nov. 25 tied its previous weekly record for COVID cases, with 37 new cases in the same week.

The situation in Oregon remains dire, officials say.

Gov. Kate Brown, in a news conference last Wednesday, Nov. 25, listed Linn County among 21 in Oregon that are considered “extreme risk” based on COVID case numbers.

Starting Thursday, Dec. 3, many of Brown’s restrictions will be lifted in Oregon counties that haven’t been as hard hit by the coronavirus.

Though most of Brown’s restrictions likely will still remain in place Dec. 3 in the 21 counties, the governor has designated those counties at “extreme risk” of rampant viral spread. The restrictions overall, however, won’t be as stringent.

Grocery stores, retail stores and malls will be limited to 50% capacity. During the two-week “freeze” that ends Dec. 2, stores are limited to 75% capacity.

Outdoor dining will be allowed at bars and restaurants, and large religious institutions will be able to quadruple their indoor gathering sizes.

Gyms will be allowed to lead outdoor fitness activities, with capacity limited to 50 people outdoors, per establishment.

The Oregon Health Authority asks that citizens honor the more than 900 dead in Oregon by following public health guidelines.

“Honor them by redoubling our efforts to protect one another: Wear a mask, limit social gatherings, keep 6 feet between you and other people who don’t live in your home, and wash hands often,” the OHA said.

Total
0
Share