SHFAD’s $3.2 million budget proposal includes personnel, equipment

Sean C. Morgan

The Sweet Home Fire and Ambulance District Budget Committee approved a $3.2 million budget on May 15.

The budget is an increase of $600,000 over the 2017-18 budget. The bulk of the revenue increase is in the district’s beginning fund balance, an increase from a budgeted $400,000 to $870,000 based on the district’s projected actual ending fund balance for 2017-18.

The 2018-19 budget will use some of those funds to increase the budgeted ending fund balance for 2018-19 by $200,000, from $175,000 to $375,000.

The ambulance division also is contributing to the increase in revenue, contributing to the larger bottom line going into the next budget year, which begins July 1, said Fire Chief Dave Barringer. “We have researched ways to address our needs and are making changes to ambulance billing and MVA billing. We have seen an increase in ambulance revenue, which has helped to offset some of our financial challenges.”

The budget forecasts $790,000 in ambulance revenue, up from a budgeted $750,000. Actual ambulance revenue for 2016-17 was $840,000.

When actual revenues are higher than budgeted, they contribute to the size of the ending fund balance, which serves as the beginning fund balance for the following budget year.

Personnel services, including salary and benefits, will increase by $140,000, from $1.6 to $1.76 million.

The budget increases materials and services by $40,000, from $374,000 to $414,000.

Capital outlays increases by $95,000, from $25,000 to $120,000, with $45,000 in the ambulance division for grant-funded heart monitors, which requires a $9,000 match from district funds, and $65,000 in emergency services.

Among potential capital expenses, Barringer said the district should focus on replacing the 27-year-old engine in Cascadia with a four-wheel drive urban interface engine that is more suited to conflagration responses he expects to continue to the state of California.

He said the district received a record $110,000 in net revenue from responding to conflagrations last year.

The budget transfers $90,000 to a reopened equipment reserve fund, which serves as a savings account for future capital outlays.

Meanwhile, the district continues to spend bond funds approved in 2016. Barringer said the fund has $500,000 remaining. Future bond expenses include a new ambulance and remodeling at the Foster Substation and the Fire Hall.

“The purchase of the battalion chief’s brush rig from bond proceeds is in process and is expected to be completed in May,” Barringer said. “The recently purchased extrication tools have enhanced our ability on motor vehicle accidents. Our SCBAs were replaced and are in service and working well.

“The bond proceeds have helped us accomplish replacing and purchasing items to meet the neglected needs that existed. This helped free up our other revenue sources to meet the day-to-day operating costs that continue to increase.”

The district continues to use a SAFER grant to pay for two firefighter-paramedics, Barringer said, and district officials have noticed an improvement with emergency staffing levels.

The committee voted 8-0 to approve the budget as submitted.

Present were Dawn Mitchell, Don Hopkins, Tim Geil, Larry Johnson, Rob Younger, Kevin Strong, Marty Mealue and Ron Sipe.

Absent were Charlene Adams and Michelle Rowton.

The budget will go before the district Board of Directors for a public hearing and adoption during its regular meeting at 7 p.m. on June 19.

Total
0
Share