Car Fire On Main Requires SHFD Response

Kristy Tallman

Tuesday evening Sweet Home Fire and Ambulance District (SHFAD) was called to the scene of a car fire in the 1000 block of Main Street. The car, a 2012 Chevrolet Traverse, was reported to be parked near Ridgeway Health and La Moto in the eastbound lane.

The owner of the car left the car running with three passengers remaining inside the vehicle while he ran an errand. When he came out, his engine was in flames.

“The owner thought the car was overheating,” SHFAD Battalion Chief Shannon Pettner said. “When he came out, the car was on fire and smoke was filling the vehicle. Flames were coming out of the engine compartment but they didn’t know what was causing the fire. They had already used a fire extinguisher on it but it wasn’t enough, so they called us.”

The owner remained on the scene while the passengers were taken home.

Pettner stated “the fire originated in the fuse box area of the engine compartment which makes finding the initial cause extremely difficult. Fortunately, firefighters were able to quickly put out the fire and everyone was okay.”

The car was fully insured by the owners. No other structures were involved and no injuries were reported.