Fire damages mobilehome

Smoke streams through rays of sunshine from a burning mobilehome at 2230 Main St. Wednesday morning, July 9. The fire did an estimated $20,000 damage to the single-wide mobilehome. According to a Sweet Home Fire and Ambulance District report, owner Aleta Comstock told fire officials that she was drying some clothes and heard a loud “pop” and the dryer stopped working. She went to the electrical panel and shut off circuit breakers and left the home to walk to the store. When she returned, smoke was streaming from under the roof. Ten SHFAD personnel and an engine responded approximately 9:26 a.m. and quickly knocked the fire down. According to the report, the only apparent occupants of the home when firefighters arrived were a couple of cats, who are believed to have beaten a hasty exit when the opportunity came.