Soccer update…

Boys Soccer

The boys soccer team ran into the buzzsaw that they expected, losing to two of the top teams in the league last week, first to Marist, 11-0, and then Friday at Sisters, 7-0.

Marist started 10 skilled seniors, and with Husky goalie Kellen Peterson missing from the lineup, the Huskies had their work cut out for them. But Sean McGuyre, the sophomore substitute goalie, and the Sweet Home defense held them in check for the first 25 minutes, trailing only 2-0 and even outshot them in the first 10 minutes.

Then McGuyre was kicked in the head and he had to leave the game. In the last 15 minutes, even though McGuyre eventually returned in the first half despite still being a bit woozy, the Spartans were able to score frequently.

Against Sisters, the Huskies also faced a physical team. Unlike Marist who was more skilled and hustled physically and cleanly, the Outlaws were physical often just to be physical.

Sweet Home wasn’t ready for that style of play, and Sisters scored three of their goals fairly quickly in the first quarter of the game.

On Monday, Sweet Home finished its season against Pleasant Hill, another quality program in their conference.

Girls Soccer

What started out good didn’t end so well for the girls soccer team as they lost to Cascade, 8-0. They held the Cougars scoreless for the first 26 minutes, but Cascade had three goals to finish off the half. It might have been closer, but coach Eric Markell chose to give his players an opportunity to try different positions during the game.

Things went much better in their game at Central, despite missing three players out with grade problems. Markell thought they handled the adversity of having only one substitute very well, calling it their best game of the year.

“They responded because they knew they were going to be short-handed,” he said. “It was good soccer by both teams.”

Freshman Katie Rains probably exemplified that adjustment the best, having the defensive game so far of her short career. With that defense, the Huskies had a real shot at the victory.

Trailing 1-0 at halftime, Rachel Gaskey’s stop of a penalty kick in the second half kept their hope alive. But they just couldn’t convert on any of the scoring opportunities they had.

On Monday, the Huskies played North Marion to try for their second victory.

“Hopefully we will get some players back,” said Markell. “It will be a matter of if we decide to play hard or not.”