Trustees return Dale Keene to Sweet Home School Board

Kelly Kenoyer

There’s a new School Board member in town, after board members chose Dale Keene to replace Angela Clegg, who stepped down earlier in the summer.

Board members Jim Gourley, Jason Van Eck, Chanz Keeney, Mike Reynolds, Jason Redick, Debra Brown, and Jenny Daniels were all in attendance at the Monday, Sept. 14 board meeting, held in the high school cafeteria where participants could be properly distanced.

The board considered applications for the position from Blair Larsen, Sweet Home’s community and economic development director, and Keene, Linn-Benton Community College’s business operations coordinator and a former School Board member.

Keene served on the board from 2008 to 2014, winning an election in 2010. He resigned in November of 2014, citing difficulties in carrying out his board responsibilities at that time.

Board members held a short debate of sorts to compare the candidates, asking each four questions. Larsen, who moved to Sweet Home a year ago to take the job with the city, has three children in Sweet Home schools. He said he planned to apply for a vacancy at the school board whenever one opened up.

“I feel very strongly about education; it’s a deeply empowering thing. And I care deeply about my children’s education,” he said.

Larsen said he considers education to be a primary factor in the quality of life in a city.

Keene said he’s very familiar with the community and its history, and his ties to the community will make him a valuable member.

“I know the ins and outs of board work, and I work for LBCC, so I’m familiar with the higher ed side of education, and how they interact and tie in to each other.”

The candidates Monday were also asked what they considered was the greatest challenge facing the school district.

Larsen said it is budgets and enrollment, matching programs to funding sources, while Keene said it’s COVID-19.

Gourley asked each of them to answer how the school district can manage internet access options.

Larsen said internet is a “utility that is required for our daily lives,” and said he thinks grant opportunities with the state and partnerships with internet providers are needed. “It requires political commitment and a lot of money.”

Keene said state and federal grants are needed, as well as “educational partners” like LBCC, University of Oregon and Oregon State.

Keeney asked Larsen whether he wants big changes or small changes for the school district, noting that he was already aware of Keene’s view from his previous service on the board. Larsen said “I have things I want for my kids,” adding, “if you’re not changing you’re stagnating.” He added that he didn’t want to sweep in and change everything at once.

Keene said he was also “not here to make giant changes,” but “if you’re not going forward, you’re going backwards.”

The board then held a silent vote. Redick thanked both candidates for applying, and said “this decision really should be a decision of the voters in Sweet Home, so whatever happens, pursue this.”

Redick announced Keene was the winner, but did not divulge the vote count. Keene was then sworn in and scooted his table into alignment with the other socially distanced board members.

In other action, board members:

– Learned that the district has received a tort claim from the Sweet Home Education Association related to requirements to work in person during the COVID-19 pandemic, on the basis of the Oregon Safe Employment Act.

A letter by attorney Ralph Wiser stated that “restrictions and guidelines issues by Governor Brown and other state agencies are based on medical science” and intended to safeguard against the spread of coronavirus.

“By failing to observe these precautions, the district is intentionally exposing its employees to COVID-19. The association hereby demands that the district cease and desist from failing to observe applicable precautions,” the letter continued.

Supt. Tom Yahraes responded to the tort letter in a letter to district staff on Sept. 8, in which he said the district’s position in the collective bargaining agreement is to start and operate the school year by maintaining and complying with CBA provisions, follow state and federal laws and requirements for on-site and distance learning, and follow an interactive process to address concerns such as medical conditions and childcare.

He went on to say that the tort claim based on members not being in buildings to work “does not hold merit.”

“If we are seriously preparing for our students to be in school (and we are), we must be ready first,” he continued. The school board held an executive session directly after the public board meeting to discuss the matter after its regular meeting Monday.

– Learned that Sweet Home School District’s enrollment is down by 121 students compared to last year, when the district at 2,309 students, which is in line with decreased enrollment across the region.

Yahraes said he expected those numbers to be worse, and pointed to online charter schools as one of the causes of declined enrollment.

“Schools are working hard to reach out to those families who were attending school with us,” he said. “We’re also hoping to get our in-person, on-site learning up and running as an option as soon as metrics allow.”

Parent Ray Towry said he disagreed with that assessment, and said the district is preventing dissatisfied families from leaving the district at this time because it is allowed to cap the exodus at 3 percent.

“It’s the high-achieving students who are leaving,” he said.

– Heard a budget update from Business Manager Kevin Strong, who said enrollment affects revenue and may impact staffing levels if enrollment remains lower.

“If we don’t return to normal a year from now, that’s something we need to be planning for.”

He added that some of the construction on the junior high was put on hold because of the smoke.

– Learned that Marty Steinbock, a teacher at Sweet Home Junior High, sent a letter to school Principal Terry Martin on Aug. 10 requesting a leave of absence because of the coronavirus pandemic.

“I am concerned for both my wife and myself,” he wrote. “At some point this year, Sweet Home will likely meet the state requirements for kids to return to in-person instruction. Everyone hopes this will be the case. However, this poses an inacceptable risk to my family.”

The board unanimously voted to grant him leave.

– Unanimously approved hiring seven new staff members: Special Education Teacher Joanne Viner, Title 1 teacher Brittanie Sorensen, Temporary Kindergarten Teacher Pamela Hayes, Temporary Title Teacher Daphnie Collins, Temporary 5/6 teacher Shayna Kennedy, and Temporary Instructional Technology teacher Jennifer Ashcroft.

Total
0
Share